Saturday 11 November 2017

Discovering your style


Hi everyone, I hope everyone is doing well, it's Rose here again with a post about how I am discovering my art style.  This month so far I've been catching up on October art posts.  I got sick in October and it meant I couldn't face doing much, so it's been nice to feel well enough to create.  And, if I'm honest, pushing myself to art has probably added to me feeling better within myself.

I have been working through October's Patreon class with Anna.  Last month's video was Anna working on a painting of a fox.  There was a watercolour fox and an acrylic version.  I loved both, but because I really find watercolour difficult I decided to concentrate on that.

First I worked through a version with Anna and created this:



I really enjoyed using the autumnal colours and was really happy with how he turned out.  Then last week as I was walking home from picking my little girl up from nursery, Mr Fox crossed our path.  He saw us and we all watched each other.  So when I got home I thought I would have another go at sketching and painting him, again in watercolour.  This is what I produced:



I don't really know what my style of art is, but taking art classes and working in other people's style really helps me to understand what my own style is not.  I know that my style is not loose and I struggle with painting loosely, so I wanted to push myself with the fox on the top to try to be a bit looser.  I'm not sure how successful I was but a few paint splatters makes it look looser than he was originally.  If you're struggling to find your own style, give it a go - copy some other artist's work and see what makes you feel uncomfortable, what colours do you struggle with? What mediums are difficult for you? Do you struggle with looseness or preciseness? From creating in someone else's style and working out what you like or struggle with, you can really start to understand your own art and your own style.  Even the art you choose to recreate can tell you a lot about your style.

I know Anna has all these classes on her Patreon just waiting for you to join and create.  I like it when you can learn a technique in a class and then use it as inspiration to create in your own style, and Anna's classes are perfect for doing just that.  Why not join us if you haven't already, and if you have I'd love to see your fox paintings.

Don't forget to check out Anna's Patreon and you can find more of my art here, or on my blog, or on Instagram.


No comments:

Post a Comment